For as far back as we can remember, art fairs and festivals have widely attended across the country by artists and the like. An art festival is a celebration of both art and artists, and is often used to promote art among the masses. Typically held in an aesthetic setting, such as a waterfront park or a bustling downtown street, an art festival typically features displays of artwork by several artists. Since most all art festivals are open to the public, here are a few reasons to attend these free weekend events.
1. You will get the opportunity to meet the artists who actually create their own work and begin a relationship with them. Traveling to art festivals not only gives you the opportunity to know and see other parts of the country, but it gives you a chance to follow your favorite artists over the years and watch their work evolve.
2. Interact and get to know specific artists and fine crafters from the local area of the show. Learn what specific things they draw inspiration from, regionally.
3. Art fairs give you the opportunity to commission unique pieces of art- allowing a more personalized work. Some artists will even create specific artwork or commemorative pieces for an art festival. For annual art shows, these commemorative pieces are often highly collectible items that are available in limited quantities.
4. Some art festivals will also feature workshops, studio demonstrations and meet-and-greets with artists. Learn techniques and inspirations from some of the worlds best artists.
5. Indulge in the regional cuisine of the area of the show. Local food vendors and merchants often times provide food that is known and respected in the area.
Of course, there are many other things to do and reasons to attend art festivals. Howard Alan Events produces 90 arts and crafts festivals each year. Please see our calendar of events to help you decide how many of our events you would like to attend. We have many patrons who anticipate our shows for months, so we hope to see you there!
Calendar of Events
Howard Alan Events is proud to be hosting the Las Olas Art Fair for the 25th year! This art fair is ranked as one of the top 100 art festivals in the nation and continues to be one of the most anticipated art events in the area.
For show information, please visit www.artfestival.com
To help celebrate this great show, Howard Alan Events presents:
FORT LAUDERDALE’S 2012 OCTOBER LAS OLAS ART FAIR GIVEAWAY
Celebrating 25 Fabulous Years of Fine Art on Las Olas Boulevard!
Shop, Dine, and Celebrate during the Award-Winning 25th Anniversary Las Olas Art Fair
2 Night Hotel Stay, Dinner for Two, Official Event Posters, and much more!
Register to win at www.sunny.org
Contest Ends October 8th, 2012
The lucky winner will receive:
- Kilwin’s Specialty Basket (Valued at $150.00)
- Two official 25th Anniversary Las Olas Art Fair Posters
- Dinner for 2 at Mango’s Restaurant & Lounge (Valued at $100.00)
- 2- $25.00 Gift Cards to The Cheesecake Factory
- A 60 minute, Swedish, deep tissue or sports massage OR a $90.00 credit toward any regularly priced services including couples massages courtesy of Planet Massage.
- A complimentary weekend stay at the Riverside Hotel with accomodations located in the Executive Tower, with complimentary overnight valet parking for Friday and Saturday evening (October 19th and 20th). Winner will also receive breakfast for 2 on Saturday morning and a Limited Edition, custom-made Riverside Hotel Anniversary Globe.
While you are strolling the 10th Anniversary Alexandria King Street Art Festival this weekend (September 8th & 9th, 2012) be sure to stop by King & Royal and visit Passport Auto. Passport Auto will be presenting Nissan, BMW, Infiniti, Mini, and Toyota on site. This selection of model lineups is the perfect opportunity for visitors to experience the new and exceptional features of each make.
The Alexandria King Street Art Festival is ranked one of the top Art Fairs in the country. More than $15 million in art will be on display and visitors will have the opportunity to meet the artists behind the work and hear first-hand what inspires them. With hundreds of submissions, this show features artists known for quality and originality. All artwork is juried, which provides a higher level of quality, diversity and creativity of art on display, exemplifying the gifted artists in regions from all over the country.
Located on King Street in Alexandria, Virginia, stretching all the way down to the Potomac River. Show hours are Saturday 10am-7pm and Sunday 10am-5pm. Passport Auto is the official automotive sponsor of the 10th Anniversary Alexandria King Street Art Festival.
As the final installment of our recognition of American artists, we have the pleasure of featuring an artist who has overcome multiple physical challenges, AJ Brockman. AJ Brockman is a digital artist who has SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy), a progressive neuromuscular disease, and has been wheelchair-bound since age 2. He began painting with acrylics as a child and developed his own impressionistic style. He fully realized art was his passion, but began to lose the strength of his hands and the ability to create. Accepting the hard facts, he started to use the aid of computer software that replicates traditional painting / typesetting / layout to create. With the use of two fingers on his left hand, he is able to manipulate a mouse and have no limitations due to his disability.
Using life experiences, his interests, and many other forms of inspiration, he creates using a technique that is a hybrid of Impressionism and Realism. He uses reference photography to get his proportions correct, but everything he does is a unique composition. It is an extremely time-consuming process and he does hours of research on my subject matter before he ever opens the canvas. As a South Florida native, a lot of his work reflects the ocean, landscapes, and a beachside lifestyle. However, he does not limit himself to a specific genre.
Learn more about AJ’s work at http://www.singlehandedstudio.com. If you’re interested to see how he creates his pieces of art, visit his Technique page on his website. You can also see him at Howard Alan Event’s upcoming 25th Anniversary Art Fest by the Sea in Jupiter, FL.
A visit to the Shadyside Art Festival on Walnut Street August 25 -26, 2012, isn’t complete without a stop at the Ford display. You can get up close and personal for the first time with the all-new 2013 Escape that gets 33MPG.
It’s also your opportunity to join in on the fun and win prizes with our virtual soccer “Penalty Kick Challenge” which showcases the Escape’s hands free lift gate. The excitement doesn’t stop there – sit in the driver’s seat of the Escape and take a spin with the “33MPG Instant Win Jackpot” wheel for a chance to win some cash.
But that’s not all – enter our vehicle sweepstakes for your chance to win $30,000 towards any Ford vehicle of your choice!
Stop on by and visit with Ford for the fun, the prizes and the all-new fuel efficient 2013 Ford Escape.
In celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Alexandria King Street Art Festival, we here at Howard Alan Events are presenting not one, but TWO, giveaways to mark this milestone!
Giveaway #1: Online Artist Giveaway Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Alexandria King Street Art Festival
The first giveaway is an online giveaway of artwork by veteran artists who will be participating in the show. You can enter to win one of four pieces of artwork created by Faye Vander Veer, Kelly Allen, AnnMarie Siegel and Cheryl Summers.
Winners will be chosen Friday, September 7th so don’t delay! Register today to enter to win one of these beautiful pieces of art.
About the Artists:
- Fay Vander Veer is an award winning artist whose captivating paintings reflect her intense interest in the human spirit. Her sensitivity to the effects of light, shadow, color and form evokes an emotional reaction that has drawn collectors to her work and keeps them coming back. Her paintings are held in private and corporate collections throughout the U.S. Learn more about Fay at www.fayevanderveer.com.
- Kelly Allen is a jewelry artist sold in many galleries and fine art stores around the country. . Today their pieces can be found in galleries and fine art shows throughout the United States. Learn more about Kelly at www.statementsjewelry.com.
- AnnMarie Siegel creates jewelry and wearable art from watch parts. She is inspired by the shapes of these intricate watch parts, which she transforms into recognizable functional art such as fish, owls, and birds. Her mantra is “Living in the moment and not by your wristwatch.” She lives in Nokomis, Florida. Learn more about AnnMarie at www.watchpartjewelry.com.
- Cheryl Summers has been an abstract realism painter for over twenty years. Cheryl continues to experiment with different media to bring color, form and texture to her work, and because of this, she is gaining national recognition as an award-winning artist. Learn more about Cheryl at www.artistcherylsummers.com.
Giveaway details: No purchase is necessary to participate. The winners will be selected on Friday, September 7, 2012 and notified via email. Winners may claim their prize at the art festival directly from the artists at the 10th Annual King Street Art Festival or if unable to attend, alternative arrangements will be made.
Giveaway #2: Festival Art Giveaway Featuring the Work of Select Alexandria Artists Participating in the 10th Annual King Street Art Festival.
The second giveaway will be on-site at the festival. Art Festival patrons can register to win artwork by participating Alexandria artists Martha Brumbaugh and Pat Palermino. Registration will take place at the artists’ individual booth’s on Saturday, September 8th and Sunday, September 9th.
Here’s a look at what you can enter to win!
About the Artists:
- Martha Brumbaugh owns an art gallery in Alexandria. She is a watercolor painter who specializes in Galaxy paintings, Scottish landscapes in oil, Cave Paintings and French landscapes in watercolor & acrylic. Learn more about Martha at http://beallandbrumbaugh215.com.
- Pat Palermino is a folk art painter. Her folk art paintings, limited edition American folk art prints and note cards proudly reflect the character and charisma found in many of the United States’ most popular cities and landmarks. Learn more about Pat at www.patpalermino.com.
Visit our Alexandria King Street Art Festival show page to learn more about the festival and plan to be there to enter to win these two beautiful pieces of art! You can also learn more about the weekend’s activities at the Alexandria Convention & Visitors Association page.
Giveaway details: The winner must be present or on site at the festival in order to claim the prize. The winning tickets will be drawn each day between 3:00 pm and 3:30 pm. The winner will be notified via cell phone. If the prize is not claimed by 4:00 pm an alternate winner will be drawn. No purchase is necessary to participate.